BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments strongly opposes SORNA’s application to juvenile sex offenders and urges Congress to revise the law to more accurately address the needs of juvenile offenders.
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments encourages Congress to amend the Unfunded Mandates Reform Act to:
1. Apply UMRA’s cost estimation requirements to legislation that alters the conditions for receiving already existing federal grant assistance such as Medicaid and federal grants under the No Child Left Behind Act.
2. Expand the scope of cost estimates to include indirect costs imposed by new legislation and rule making such as lost revenue.
3. Remove the exception for mandates issued by independent regulatory agencies such as the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
4. Remove the current exception for urgent federal regulations issued without prior notice by requiring cost estimates to be issued for such urgent rule making decisions within six months after their adoption.
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments strongly urge Congress to restore funding to the child support enforcement program by passing The Child Support Protection Act of 2007 (S. 803) or similar legislation.
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments:
(1) urges the President to provide focused leadership domestically to reduce health disparities, particularly as they relate to HIV/AIDS;
(2) requests the Congress to increase funding for state and local grant programs authorized by the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency Act, especially to assure funding for faith-based initiatives providing culturally and linguistically competent prevention and treatment programs;
(3) calls on the Congress and the Secretary of Health and Human Services to ensure that AIDS Drug Assistance Program funding counts towards an individual’s out-of-pocket contributions for Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in Part D;
(4) encourages the Secretary of Health and Human Services to issue guidance requiring that all states’ Medicaid preferred drug lists provide prompt access to HIV/AIDS treatments consistent with established HIV treatment protocols;
(5) urges the Congress to provide increased funding to the Department of Health and Human Services and relevant agencies, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Human Resources and Services Administration.
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments supports state efforts to promote pharmaceutical and bioscience innovation as it is in the best interest of both our states’ economic growth and prosperity, as well as the public health of our citizens;
NOW BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments encourages states to support pharmaceutical and bioscience innovation, which could include the establishment of a Life Sciences Advisory Board, Joint Committee on Biosciences, and/or a focused legislative subcommittee to enhance the legislature’s ability to direct state policies towards innovation growth and biopharmaceutical awareness.
BE IT NOW THEREFORE RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments encourages state legislators and other elected leaders to support and promote state-wide efforts to develop and implement their state’s comprehensive cancer control plan.
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED that The Council of State Governments encourages all states to implement strategies to increase enrollment in high-quality early childhood education programs, as well as create new programs so that all 3 and 4 year old children are served.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that The Council of State Governments encourages research efforts to study the effectiveness of high-quality universal early childhood education programs.
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments strongly supports the implementation of a comprehensive, national Farm to School program that helps schools provide staff training, conduct menu planning, locate sources of locally produced food, purchase food, and assists farmers and schools to purchase the necessary equipment to encourage the utilization of locally produced food products.
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments encourages state legislators and government officials to recognize the importance of higher education to their economic growth and development and that state policymakers place a greater emphasis on improving access to higher education so that their citizens can obtain the skills necessary to compete in today’s changing economy.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments encourages state legislatures to offer more stability in revenue for institutions of higher education. States should consider financial incentives or rewards aimed at colleges and universities for courses students complete as well as for students enrolled.