CSG Policy Academy on Natural Gas
Twenty-two state legislators from throughout the country gathered in New Orleans, Louisiana from Oct. 14-16, 2015, for a third annual CSG-led Natural Gas Policy Academy. Many of the attendees serve on energy and/or natural resources committees in their home states.
The policy academy covered a variety of key topics including an overview of the natural gas industry, safety standards, infrastructure and safety, exporting liquid natural gas, jobs and manufacturing, natural gas vehicles, and regulatory issues. Attendees also went on a site visit to the Shell Geismar Chemical Plant, a stand-alone chemicals manufacturing plant operated by Shell Chemical LP in Geismar, Louisiana.
Speakers and presentations at the 2015 CSG Natural Gas Policy Academy included the following:
- Dr. David E. Dismukes, Executive Director, Center for Energy Studies, Louisiana State University: "Natural Gas 101"
Roland Goodman, Manager – Upstream Standards, American Petroleum Institute: "Industry Safety Standards"
- Commissioner Pamela Witmer, Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission: "Panel on Natural Gas Infrastructure and Safety" (Slide 1, Slide 2)
Ashley Duckman, Manager - State Affairs, American Gas Association: "Panel on Natural Gas Infrastructure and Safety" (Smart Modernization)
- Mike Fessler, Director of Regulatory Affairs, UGI Utilities, Inc.: "Panel on Natural Gas Infrastructure and Safety" (Natural Gas Expansion)
Chris Coleman, Senior Director, State Affairs, America’s Natural Gas Alliance: "The Ramifications of Exporting LNG"
- Dave Witte, Senior Vice President, General Manager, IHS Chemical: "Impacts on Jobs and Manufacturing Roundtable" (US Chemicals in a Global Context)
- Melissa Hockstad, Vice President - Petrochemicals, American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) : "Impacts on Jobs and Manufacturing Roundtable" (The Impact of Shale on Downstream Demand)
- Jim Telljohann, Vice President of Corporate Planning and Development, Chevron Phillips Chemical Company: "Impacts on Jobs and Manufacturing Roundtable" (CP Chem)
Nick D’Andrea, Director - State Government Affairs, United Parcel Service: "New Uses for Natural Gas: Vehicles"
- Commissioner Pamela A. Witmer, Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission: "Roundtable with State Regulators on Emerging Issues"
- Bob Russell, Public Utilities Rates and Tariffs Manager, Kentucky Public Service Commission: "Roundtable with State Regulators on Emerging Issues" (Kentucky and the Coal to Gas Transition)