THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments:
(1) urges the President to provide focused leadership domestically to reduce health disparities, particularly as they relate to HIV/AIDS;
(2) requests the Congress to increase funding for state and local grant programs authorized by the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency Act, especially to assure funding for faith-based initiatives providing culturally and linguistically competent prevention and treatment programs;
(3) calls on the Congress and the Secretary of Health and Human Services to ensure that AIDS Drug Assistance Program funding counts towards an individual’s out-of-pocket contributions for Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in Part D;
(4) encourages the Secretary of Health and Human Services to issue guidance requiring that all states’ Medicaid preferred drug lists provide prompt access to HIV/AIDS treatments consistent with established HIV treatment protocols;
(5) urges the Congress to provide increased funding to the Department of Health and Human Services and relevant agencies, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Human Resources and Services Administration.