Resolution Supporting Successful Presidential Transition Process
WHEREAS, the peaceful transition of knowledge and power from one president to another is a hallmark of American democracy; and
WHEREAS, the administration, Congress, and others should work actively with the states to ensure that the Presidential transition is efficient and worthy of the American people; and
WHEREAS, a strong federal-state partnership is essential to ensuring the welfare of our country; and
WHEREAS, as the new administration begins, this partnership must be developed early and nurtured and strengthened continuously; and
WHEREAS, The Council of State Governments can play a constructive supporting role to the administration and Congress on a wide range of policy issues by sharing information about innovative programs and best practices among the states.
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that The Council of State Governments encourages the administration to demonstrate its commitment to strengthening the federal-state partnership by:
- Adopting a policy of constructive engagement with the states to gather relevant information about existing issues, build on innovative programs already in place at the state and local level, and ensure national policies are implemented in the most effective and efficient manner possible;
- Promoting innovation among the states by developing policies that capitalize on state experience and expertise;
- Facilitating effective cooperation among the administration and states by hosting regular meetings and an ongoing dialogue among federal and state officials;
- Developing a plan to require early consultation and full input from state and local governments during the development of proposed regulations;
- Including experience in state and local governments as a desirable qualification when considering administration appointments; and
- Publishing a directory identifying the administration and agency officials that serve as the principal point of contact for communications with the states.
Adopted by The Council of State Governments’ Executive Committee this 11th Day of December, 2016 in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia.
|Resolution Supporting Successful Presidential Transition Process.pdf||170.96 KB|